Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Monday, October 09, 2006

My Last-Minute Bid For the Job of UN Secretary General

I realize I am arriving a little late to the game here, seeing as the UN Security Council today nominated Ban Ki-moon to the position of UN Secretary General and that his ratification by the UN General Assembly is seen by most as a foregone conclusion. But wait: until his nomination is in fact ratified, the field is still theoretically wide open, right? So why not me?

Before the world just hands this plum gig to some guy you've never heard of, I think it should at least hear me out first. I have a lot of qualifications for this post, maybe even more than this Ban Ki-moon guy. After all:

  • I am a middle child. That means I have a lot of experience mediating disputes and finding the middle ground. Is Ban Ki-moon a middle child? I don't know; do you? And don't you think it's interesting that we don't know? What is Ban Ki-moon hiding?
  • This guy has "moon" in his name. Is he related to Sun Yung Moon? Wouldn't that be embarrassing if he was? My name is Meltzer. Worst-case scenario, I'm related to Brad Meltzer or Bernard Meltzer. Not too embarrassing.
  • I studied French for five years in high school. Granted, my French is a little rusty, but I'm sure I could brush it up in no time. Remember, it's not just French people who speak French. They speak French in parts of Africa and in Vietnam, and I'm pretty sure they speak it in other places too. So speaking French is probably an important skill for a UN Secretary General. Also, I studied Latin in college. Isn't that the official language of Vatican City? So I'd be able to talk to the leaders of the Catholic Church. They represent a lot of people! Again, very helpful.
  • I've got lots of time to do this job. I'm a musician and a writer. This keeps me busy but not that busy. Ban Ki-moon is a foreign minister and a diplomat. He is deeply involved in the six-way negotiations with North Korea. Also, I think he has kids. Seriously, how much time will he have to devote to being UN Secretary General? Whatever it is, I can devote more.

Look, all I'm saying is, before you pick this guy, at least consider my application first. I'd look really good in the crown. See? That's got to count for something.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 8:50 PM , Blogger Flattie said...

    Look , I'm sorry Tom, but it just wont work. You have no children for a start, so your mediation skills must be rustier than all get out. The North Koreans, once they have finished irradiating your dogs with their enriched U235 or what ever it is they use, would probably make a rather tasty Chow Mein out of them & serve it to you for lunch, but do you know what your biggest handicap is ? Your surname. Its not stupid enough. I mean, look at the history. Having a stupid name is a prerequisite for the job..

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your Kimchi Chigae catered lunch would bring everyone together. These nuclear bomb guys think with their stomachs. No suspension of weapons testing--no Kimchi Chigae. Tom's rules.

    And lastly, I see the Ban Ki-moon a-rising. I see trouble on the way. I see earthquakes and lightning. I see bad times today.

    Brains

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    I can't get past the French class thing. I don't remember you paying attention in that class at all. Did you? (Or was that me?)

     
  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    flattie--your observations are astute. I am headed to court right now to change my name to Tom Mellon-headed-man-tapir.

    Brains--Kimchi Chigae is the culinary equivalent of a nuclear bomb, with a heck of a half life on the back end.

    Wendy--Mr. Rifkin didn't take no merde. Enfer yeah I paid attention in that class.

     
  • At 9:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No, you didn't. It's "allons danser", not "allons dansons".

     
  • At 6:25 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Anonymous--

    Isn't "Allons! Dansons!" the proper way to say "Let's go! Let's dance!" in the hortatory subjunctive? If not, I stand corrected.

     
  • At 7:45 AM , Blogger John Albin said...

    But wait a second, you studied French for five years in high school? With this kind of accounting, you certainly show promise for the job of Secretary General. However, lacking offspring to take advantage of this gift, you will never be able to generate sufficient kickbacks to perfrom adequately in the position. Oil for food corruption will die on the vine. Completely unacceptable. Next applicant please ...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home