Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Pleasures of the Music Business

OK, I was tempted to leave this space blank--see, because that would be funny--but as luck would have it, I received some BMI checks today. Apparently an XM station is playing some of the old 5 Chinese Brothers' tracks. I won't be making a special trip to the bank on their account because the cost of the gasoline would put a serious dent in my windfall. But hey, next time I'm out and about anyway, I will certainly stop at the bank to cash these checks, and that will put a nice jingle in my pocket. My gum budget for 2006 is now officially covered. So there's a pleasure of the music business, and now I know that the pleasures of 'the biz' number at least one.

Speaking of music, I performed yesterday at the Carrboro Music Festival, and it was a great experience. I had a really wonderful crowd and I played pretty well, if I do say so myself. Plus I had a nice shvitz, as the owners of the room I was playing in had thoughtfully turned off the AC. At one point I asked whether someone from the audience wouldn't mind splashing some water on the rocks because the heat was getting a little dry. More funny!

I must admit that I'd forgotten how wearing it is to perform. I started the show determined to give my most committed performance, investing every note and lyric with just the right care and intensity. And I pulled it off to my own satisfaction for a few songs. But then I really started to wear down. It was like that old boxing video game where you'd take one punch to the head and all the sudden your energy level would go from full to almost empty. I finished fine but I definitely had to throw it into cruise control for some songs, which bothers me--I doubt the difference even registered with the audience, but I knew the difference, and it brought back unpleasant memories of tours in which I played the same set every night 5 or 6 nights a week, often in that same cruise-control mode. It takes a good bit of the fun and excitement out of performing if you can't stay 'in the moment.'

Anyway, thanks to everyone who turned out for making it such a great day. And thanks to the many fabulous performers Lisa and I have seen recently who never seem to wear down, who always keep it fresh, committed and intense. Folks like Glenn Tilbrook, Dave Alvin, Robbie Fulks and Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kicking Team, just to name a few: you guys are my rock and roll heroes.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I actually hear Five Chinese Brothers on XM12 pretty often - at least once a week I'd say.

    Did you do 'Snakes On The Plane'? Bring that show up to Jammin' Java or The IOTA!


    (Nice choices of heroes)

     
  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    XM12 has been officially added to my list of rock and roll heroes. I did Snakes on a Plane--it was mentioned in the newspaper so I figured I oughta. Did it, "The Pleasing Song," and "Silly Hate Song" as a mini-set. I'll try to get a decent demo together to send to Jammin' Java. It'd be fun to play the Balto-DC metro area.

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tom,

    The loss of energy you describe was NOT visible to the audience. You were the video game boxer before he gets hit upside the head! I wonder if that "cruise control" feeling was related to the fact that you haven't played in public for a while. As a professor, I sometimes feel as if I've completely "lost it" in the classroom in August (after that long summer break), and by November I feel as if I own the classroom and can do no wrong. Both feelings are exaggerations, of course, and I doubt the students can see much of a difference.

    Congratulations on that gum budget.

    Alex

     
  • At 9:28 PM , Blogger Jeff Hart said...

    interesting take. i know from whence you speak. there have been times where i feel so much in auto-pilot mode (in the band) and my mind wanders and i wonder what the next line is supposed to be or "have i already sang the bridge?" the upside is my wild detour often forces the band to keep on its toes as i've come to do this about once a gig now ...

    and i apologize profusely for not getting over that way. since they would not allow me to park in the same performer spot for 4 hours, i had to find another parking space and then realized they wanted me to load in and set up before full moon pie's set (mine followed, with them as my band) which unfortunately was the same time you were playing up the block. your gigs are so rare these days that i felt really conflicted about not getting away in time. glad you had fun for the most part. when you say you played well, that says a lot. as even on a porch, you're stellar.

     
  • At 4:03 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Alex--

    Thanks again for your kind words and thanks for coming to the show. It was great hanging with you and Sally. Your classroom metaphor is apt--of course, when you're playing music there's a fine line between being in the groove and being in a rut (what I described as 'cruise control' in the entry above). Gotta be careful of that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home