Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Bob Dylan's Modern Times


Is there anyone else out there who finds Dylan's new album a total snooze? So many critics have fallen over themselves to proclaim this a masterpiece that it's got me clicking my flashlight, asking myself whether it's me or them that's insane. (Clever little Dylan allusion there, huh?)

Consider this my unqualified dissent. The songs on Modern Times are interminable, the melodies are derivative or amateurish, and the backing tracks are a mess of first-take noodling and comping. Dylan's singing has never really bothered me before (OK, it kind of bothered me in the 80s when he was singing entirely through his nose), but now it's a weird little croak that makes it difficult to decipher the lyrics. Which, given the lack of melodies and decent playing on this album, would be the only redeeming aspect of the record. What lyrics I can make out sound like Dylan reading his notebooks; there's no discernable shape or direction to any of the songs.

The songs are so all-over-the-place that I was beginning to suspect that there was no editing involved in the songwriting for Modern Times. If something was written, by God it was going to end up somewhere on the album. However, my research has led to the discovery that there was some editing in the songwriting process. It was minor, to be sure--a single couplet was excised from one song--but it was an edit nonetheless. Having unearthed the missing couplet, I present it here for your edification:

Every couplet I wrote wound up in one of these songs
That's why each track on this album is so ungodly long!


I got this album about the same time I got Dion's Bronx in Blue. Both are blues-infused albums by veteran geniuses of rock. But only one is a joy and a revelation, and it ain't Zimmy's, babe. No, no, no.

PS There is someone else out there: this guy, and his take on the album is quite astute. Check it out.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Re-heel-heel-ey? Gee, I love this album. The songs seem similar at first listen, but, he'll change the cadence, phrasing, voice, nasality, ever so slightly, on each song to give each its own variation and personality. Each song has a plethora of musical properties being exposed to create some degree of sonic pleasure. The band has some great riffs and when Dylan chirps and croaks his way through a song sounding like a 1940's Jimmy Dorsey waltz (but without the pretty boy Bob Everly voice)--well, hey--can't say you hear that kind of music everyday.

    Sure, it's derivative. But when Dylan sang Visions of Johanna in 1965, he warned us what was coming in 2006....

    "The fiddler, he now steps to the road
    He writes ev'rything's been returned which was owed"

    See? Bob steals, but he gives it back. To live outside the law you must be honest and this album passes my lie detector test without qualification.

    Brains The Clown

     
  • At 5:28 PM , Blogger david j said...

    I'm not going to argue the merits of Dylan's voice, I grew tired of that long long ago, and since then he's blown it out with the tour that never ends.
    I think he's finding his post-blown-voice voice however, settling into an old bluesman croak that I don't find as stanky as it was the two albums previous.
    So setting aside the tones of his voice which have always been less than dreamy, their may be no better phraser in rock, in fact he's up their with Sinatra and Billie Holiday when it comes to turning a phrase, or making a line drip with sarcasm or irony, and that I think he has back in Spades on this album.
    But I don't decide a yeah or a nay on a Dylan album for a couple of years.
    I have just declared Planet Waves golden!

     
  • At 5:31 PM , Blogger david j said...

    I hate that I can't edit on this as I never catch my non spelling mistakes until things are published. I apologize now and in the future for my inability to get my their/there/they're game on.

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Brains--I respect your right to be wrong on this one. ;-) Seriously, you're in good company--I'm the outlier here.

    David--Planet Waves is an awesome album! OK, Dirge kinda sucks, and Wedding Song isn't so great... I'll stop now. To me, it's a great sounding album, with that wonderful loose-but-together early 70s feel I so love--I was just listening to Time Fades Away the other day, it has that same feel. Modern Times, conversely, just sounds like a mess to me. But again, I accept that I'm in the minority on this one.

     
  • At 9:05 PM , Blogger david j said...

    you must be readin' my mail..

    Time Fades Away is my second favorite neil...

    Planet Waves written and recorded in three days, Wings Wild Life was done the same way, another album I prize.

    Dirge - I think I read once that Robbie Robertson said that he thought it was just a run-through, not a take.
    Albert Lee said the same thing about Burnin' Love, E lost interest so they had to use a rehearsal take.

    wedding song - Ah man the buttons of his shirt (hitting the guitar) make that tune!

    I was sorry to hear Dylan say that he regretted the whole band reuniting experience, it was the worst time of his life. I kind of got the feeling it maybe a substance thing though. who knows.

    that guy who you linked to is already starting to turn, he says there are now two songs on it he likes.
    I still haven't drank the kool-aid on the new record but I really like the groove of the band, my vinyl just arrived today so I can listen to it that way. I was not secretive about my loathing of the last two records but a really liked the Masked and Anonymous movie.
    Why don't you get Fulks (unless he's left Chicago) to set you up with some gigs In Chicago so jill and and I can come see you? I just slipped the princeton stuff on her iPod.
    this should have been an email.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home