Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Horn Toots

Customers at iTunes have been saying some very nice things about The Princeton Review Vocabulary Minute, a Schoolhouse Rock-like podcast that I write, perform and produce. I shamelessly present some of the nicest comments below.

If the SATs are a worry, then I suggest PRVM. It's brilliantly composed and terribly funny as well.

Of the vocabulary podcasts I've listened to, this one is the best by far. You will get the songs stuck in your mind…

I think these songs are very well written--both musically and actual content. When I first heard them, I thought they would be perfect for use in a classroom that teaches students who are learning English. The vocabulary is so valuable and the song is catchy. Love it!

I expected to get a vocab review out of this podcast, but the songs are also great from a musical standpoint. I keep some of them on my iPod because I like the songs….

Like Schoolhouse Rock--Only FREE! I am a child of the 70s and love SHR, so I was skeptical when I stumbled upon this, but for the life of me I can't think of a single negative thing to say about it! They are nice and short and catchy. It makes you smile to hear it and it is great for ALL ages.

I am an AVID Elective Teacher and I was looking for an effective way to teach my students vocabulary. Songs such as the Princeton Review Orchestra composes are excellent for teaching my students new vocabulary. I have tried many things before but this is by far THE most effective method and my students LOVE IT! THANK YOU! and BRAVO!


That's the sort of thing that will swell your head, huh? No wonder my hat's suddenly so tight. BTW, is it just me or does the phrase "tooting someone's horn" sound like a sexual euphemism to other folks too?

Speaking of getting your horn tooted, check this out: The local daily newspaper has designated my set at the Carrboro Music Festival this Sunday a "must see." Wee hah, ain't no hat big enough to fit my head now!

5 Comments:

  • At 3:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The "Incredible prefix 'In'" helped me awake from my 19-year coma. I agree that your songs are fantastic. I love how you do them in different musical styles. Brains The Clown

     
  • At 9:04 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Not the first time art has aroused someone from a coma. I've documented a previous incident in song:

    I had an aunt and she was in a coma
    So we loaded up her bed and we took her down to MoMA
    We got through the door
    You wouldnt' believe what began
    She sat up and started screaming
    "I want to see some Paul Cezanne!"

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I hate to quibble with the song writer. (Although obviously I don't hate it enough not to do it...)

    When I listen to "Cezanne" -- a song I love -- I hear the last two lines that you mention as "She sat up and started screaming, Hey, where is that Paul Cezanne?"

    And I also thought that they went "up to MoMA" but perhaps they have moved uptown since you originally recorded the song?

    Carolina Girl

     
  • At 12:02 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Carolina GIrl--

    I think I have the lyrics right but understand your confusion--I was living in NYC at the time I recorded that and was nibbling on a delicious corned beef sandwich from Katz' while singing that track, rendering the vocal somewhat indecipherable. The "up/down" lyric changes depending on where I am at the time I am singing. North of midtown, it's "down," south it's "up." If I were to perform the song at MoMA my brain would doubtless implode.

     
  • At 9:54 PM , Blogger Jeff Hart said...

    you deserve the big head for your music, enjoy! you deserve kudos for your cooking as well. don't get too swell-headed though or else, you may need a custom apron like this one ...

    http://myspace-823.vo.llnwd.net/00674/32/89/674029823_l.jpg

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home