Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Sunday, October 01, 2006

News Flash: Vocabulary Podcaster Makes Vocabulary Error During Podcast

In a previous post I noted that I recently did an interview about The Princeton Review Vocabulary Minute, the podcast I create, and that during that interview I made a vocabulary error; I invited folks to identify it.


I am now officially annoyed by my own coyness in the matter and so will 'fess up. I said I lead a pretty hermetic existence


hermetic |hərˈmetik| adjective 1 (of a seal or closure) complete and airtight : a hermetic seal that ensures perfect waterproofing. • insulated or protected from outside influences : a hermetic society. 2 (also Hermetic) of or relating to an ancient occult tradition encompassing alchemy, astrology, and theosophy. • esoteric; cryptic : obscure and hermetic poems.

when of course I should have said I lead a pretty hermitic existence

hermit |ˈhərmit| noun 1 a person living in solitude as a religious discipline. • any person living in solitude or seeking to do so. 2 a hummingbird found in the shady lower layers of tropical forests, foraging along a regular route. • Phaethornis and other genera, family Trochilidae: several species.
DERIVATIVES hermitic |hərˈmitik| adjective

Thus ends this hermeneutic entry.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "On occasion criticism coming from the sole of your shoe serves to validate the self-critical nature of one's inner thoughts. For example,

    1)I never should have made the movie "One-trick Pony".
    2)There is no excuse for the gaffe of incorrect grammar when using the words hermetic and hermitic."

    --Paul Simon as told to Brains The Clown

     
  • At 2:42 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    I like the photo. You a dunce? Never!

     
  • At 3:59 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Brains--next to Paul Simon posting here himself, that was as good at gets.

    Wendy--sadly, photographs do not lie.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    But what if you were a hermit through no fault of your own? Say you were hermetically sealed in your own lonely world, isolated from everyone?

    In this case, I do believe the use of hermetic is correct. And that's what you meant. Right? Right? (wink)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home