Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Chicken

There are many, many different wonderful ways to prepare chicken. For presentation, you can't beat roasting a whole bird (we always stick a lemon, flesh perforated by a fork, in the cavity as per Marcella Hazan's instructions; we refer to this dish as Chicken Lemon Up the Bum). Roasting is not without its perils, however; it is difficult to gauge exactly when the bird is done, and when chicken is cooked whole, the various parts of the bird don't always finish cooking at the same time. The result is either a dry breast or a dark meat portion that could give you the trots.

Then there's braising chicken parts, as in a fricassee or coq au vin. The results are delicious, but I find it impossible to prepare chicken this way without turning the skin into a pale, unappealing goo. Dredging in flour and browning up front helps a little, but fact of the matter is the bird will eventually wind up steaming, and that's going to take all the crunch out of the skin. Also, the resulting sauce must be carefully defatted unless you're going for that Eastern European/Jewish where's-my-heart-attack-I-want-my-heart-attack-right-now!!! effect.

Chicken under a brick is a fabulous preparation, but it's a little labor intensive. Also, because it requires prolonged browning over very high heat in a shallow pan, it results in a lot of fat spattering. The missus, who is on cleanup duty, does not so much appreciate this, so I've shied away from this preparation lately.

For now, my preferred method is to bake the chicken parts. Baking and roasting, in truth, are pretty much the same cooking technique; baking traditionally refers to chicken parts, however, while roasting refers to cooking a bird whole. No, I do not know why that is. What do I look like, the danged Internets? But I digress…

I like to buy my birds whole. They are cheaper that way (making it easier for a cheapskate like myself to pay the 100% extra for an organic chicken or more still for a pastured bird--see note below), and it seems intuitively obvious to me that a whole bird has less likely begun the rotting/degrading/flavor-shedding process than has a package of chicken parts, all other things being equal. Buying a whole bird also means that I can butcher the bird exactly to my specifications and treat myself to some gizzards when I'm done with my prep work. Cutting up a chicken takes all of two minutes. With poultry shears I cut out the spine, then split the bird along the breastbone. Separating the dark meat quarter takes no time at all, as at this point it is attached to the breast quarter only by skin. I trim off the wing tip, find the joint between the wing and breast, and--snip!--I have six pieces to cook: two breasts, two wings, two leg/thigh portions.

Next up is the brine. Brining effects a magical transformation on poultry (watch Alton Brown to find out why; I've had the how and why explained to me many times but it keeps escaping from my head when I'm not looking) that makes it more tender and flavorful. A brine is basically a saline solution, which you can spike with other flavor enhancers. I add some peppercorns, a few bay leaves, and a splash of fruit juice (lately I've been using apricot nectar; try it!). I generally prep and brine the chicken in the morning or early afternoon. It's ready for cooking by dinnertime.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cook the chicken parts, skin side up, for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 minutes (for a 4-pound bird; I'm no rocket scientist but I suspect you'd want to cook a larger bird for a little longer and a smaller one for slightly less time). The skin will start to brown a bit and perhaps puff slightly. The chicken parts will release some juices and they will be clear, not pink. When these things happen, it is time to eat chicken.

Last night I served this with a mixed green salad (we are eating a lot of salad around here these days, probably more in the last month than we had in the previous seven years) and parsnip-and-sweet-potato home fries. These were very easy to make. I simply diced the parsnips and sweet potatoes up into a fine 1/4"-dice, heated some oil in a hot skillet over high heat, tossed in the veggies, and started cooking, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. High heat caramelized the exterior, giving each piece good crunch and extra sweetness. After about five minutes I tossed in some fine-diced onion and a little butter, then a little more butter, and then just a wee bit more butter. Once the butter goes in, make sure to reduce the heat to medium, because butter burns easily and you do not want that to happen. I was a little worried about this dish as I've never tried cooking potatoes in a skillet (without boiling them first, anyways) but I had no cause. This dish was a winner and will be entering the regular rotation around here.

NOTE: There are so many different types of chicken out there in the marketplace today. Most common are those produced in Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO). These are your Perdue/Tyson/etc. chickens. I am now committed to avoiding these birds for so many reasons: (1) they have been genetically modified for size, growth speed, and resistance to disease when placed in unnatural conditions (i.e. living nuts to butts with thousands of other chickens in very confined quarters), but not for taste; (2) they are raised in unnatural conditions which also happen to be extraordinarily inhumane; (3) these unnatural conditions under which they are raised also result in all sorts of significant environmental damage.

Organic birds are better, but the term "organic" only means that the birds weren't fed genetically modified plants or plants that were grown conventionally (an odd term since "conventional" growing is a relatively new phenomenon, while its counterpart "organic" is how humans have been growing food for millennia). It usually means they weren't pumped full of antibiotics, either. Most organic birds you'll find at the Whole Foods will ensure right on the packaging that the birds are antibiotic-free. However, organic birds are often raised in CAFO-like conditions. I'd rather the bird I eat didn't spend its entire life as if it were experiencing a never-ending New York City rush hour subway ride.

The term "free range" chicken suggests the bird led a better life, but that's not always the case. Government regulations allow the designation "free range" for birds raised in confinement pens so long as the birds have access to a pasture. That access is typically located at a single point at one end of a long pen; few birds ever find their way to the pasture, nor would they be inclined to since all their food is in the pen. This, unfortunately, is the way a lot of producers of free-range organic chickens run their operations.

So now I try to buy my chickens at the farmer's market from someone who raises chickens the old fashioned way, in a pasture. I must admit I'm not orthodox on this because those chickens are pretty expensive, but as often as possible that's the way I go. The organic and free-range organic birds, while not ideal, are at least a lot healthier for us as consumers than are those CAFO birds, I'm convinced.

Thus ends our lesson on chicken! Oh, yeah, one more thing:
C is the way to begin
H is the next letter in
I, I am the third
C, that's the middle of the word
K. I'm fillin' in
E, we're gettin' near the end
C-H-I-C-K-E-N
That's the way to spell chicken!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM , Blogger April's Hopefully Delicious said...

    I love this entry. I have turned a blind eye to the fact that organic and free range are actually not necessarily humane. It sounds like I'm done with chicken unless I get it at the Farmer's Market. Did you ever think of raising your own chickens? I couldn't kill them, but I'd let you give me some of the eggs.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home