Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Monday, December 03, 2007

Carolina Rollergirls

Last night I made my first-ever trek to the roller derby. I cannot do justice to my elation at this experience in prose, alas. Fortunately, sweet Euterpe smiled upon me on my way home and inspired a song, a paean to the sport and the ladies who compete in it.

You can hear the song over at the myspace page for Meltzer-Hart, my new band. I should warn you in advance that I programmed the drums, and that they are lousy. The drum rolls sound as though they were played by someone who doesn't play drums, which is close enough to the truth. Ignore them the best you can, and enjoy.

Here are the lyrics, so you can sing along.
You can have every other woman
In this whole wide world
Ain't a one who can change the way I feel
About my Carolina Rollergirl
About my Carolina Rollergirl

You can take all your girly girls
Their pillbox hats and their strings of pearls
I like my girls in helmets and pads
Good girls who know how to be bad

CHORUS

You can hang out with your glitterati
I got no need for anybody that snotty
I like a girl who knows how to jam
That's just the kind of guy I am

CHORUS

You'll never see her on Access Hollywood
But you can find her hangin' in her Raleigh 'hood
And if her name is never up in lights
She'll still look good in lycra and tights

CHORUS


Update: Couldn't resist--I had to contact The Carolina Rollergirls organization to let them know about this song. Do they like it? Apparently so--it's been added to the team's myspace page! Go Rollergirls!

Update on the update: Ah, how fleeting is fame. The Rollergirls have already replaced my song on their website with one by some fellow named Petey Pablo, or Pablo Peaty, I forget which. His song has nothing to do with roller derby at all! It does, however, sound like it would be a lot of fun to skate to. I take solace in the fact that Rollergirl skater Violet Femme--my new favorite member of the team--still has the song posted at at her myspace page.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Best roller skating song since Melanie's Brand New Key. When they play your song at Carolina home games the crowd will go wild.

    --Brains

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    So fun! I always wanted to be a roller derby girl. Somehow, life got in the way. Sigh.

     
  • At 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Couldn't find Jim Croce's original Roller Derby Queen, and this cover is the least comical of the several available. The sound's good.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0r-y_GBUPo

    Did you see my observations on your duck-tapemobile?

     
  • At 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sorry, I typed in the wrong account name.

     
  • At 1:01 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Wendy--

    Never say never! The Charm City Roller Girls hold their next tryouts on January 21. If you already know how to skate, the biggest challenge will be coming up with a cool roller derby name. Examples: Eve O'Destruction, Helen Wheels, Miss Adventure.

    Eagle Scout--

    Yes, I saw your lengthy and informative comment on the car post. Really enjoyed it, sorry I didn't say so--last month or so have been hella-busy with work, hence the dearth of posts here. Thanks for contributing and thanks for the Jim Croce cover. Jim Croce--man, that takes me back to bar mitzvah year.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home