Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Cheese is Crizal™ Mighty!!!


I have traditionally been a frugal consumer of eyewear. Since college I've favored those little round wire frames that some refer to as 'granny glasses' but which I've always thought of as 'John Lennon glasses.' They're cheap, they're practical, and they look good to me. The worst you can say about them is that they are inconspicuous, which is hardly a demerit in the eyewear universe. Grandpa glasses, on the other hand--those giant plastic frames that somehow make all old men look like cartoon turtles--are another story entirely.

My wife thinks I can do better, and has reminded me of this point often enough that, last time around, I decided to relent and buy something 'fashionable,' even though doing so would surely double the cost of a product I hardly ever even see. She reminded me that she has to look at me and my glasses all the time, for which there was unfortunately no reasonable rejoinder. And so 'fashionable' glasses for me it would be.

Thus the missus and I went foraging for spectacles the last time we were in New York City. Our wanderings naturally led us to SoHo, for that is where one is most likely to find the most expensive eyeglass frames in this or any neighboring solar system. It took a while to find a pair I liked. The first pairs I tried on were at a distinct disadvantage: I would find out what they cost and then put them on, only to discover that my reaction to the price had turned my skin a shade of green that did not at all complement the color of the frame. Eventually, though, I grew accustomed to Soho prices, to the point where I could laughingly scoff, "What? These cost only $700? I'll take six pair!!!!" Finally I found a pair I liked and they weren't even that terribly expensive. And, truth be told, they looked pretty darn good on me.

I figured it made most sense to have the lenses installed back in my hometown of Durham, NC, just in case there were any problems that required repair or replacement. Having been broken of my eyeglass frugality, I was now intent on spending 'good money' to finish the job. I identified a tony eyewear boutique and headed off to discharge my business. I already had a prescription, so all that was left to do was to deliver the frames, make a deposit, and await the results of this shoppe's anticipated fine work.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite so simple. The woman working in the shoppe would not allow me to leave until I'd made a seemingly endless series of choices about my lenses. Did I want the lenses tapered on the sides so that I would not look like I was in need of special education? Yes. Did I want lenses that turned dark in the sunlight, clear in the dark, and rose-colored when I was feeling a little gloomy? No. Did I want scratchproof coating? No, I like my glasses really scratched up. That's a joke! Yes, please, scratchproof coating. How about Crizal™ anti-glare coating? Feeling extravagant, I assented.

At this point, I detected just the slightest look of concern on the woman's face. I now speculate that she must have been new to her job and had not yet learned never to cue a customer who has made a terrible, terrible mistake. Alas, her error did not register profoundly enough with me, and soon the inquiry continued. I left her with a ridiculous amount of money as a deposit that, sad to say, covered only half the cost of the lenses, and went on my way.

But I was pretty darn pleased with the glasses when they were ready just a few days later, and after trying them on I was quite happy to bail them out, even though it meant a diet of rice and beans for the rest of the month. I enjoyed them all that first day. Right up to the point, that is, that it came time to clean them. The optometrist had supplied me with a special Crizal™ cloth specifically designed for cleaning Crizal™-coated lenses, which made me feel very special indeed. Out came the special cloth. Rub, rub, rub. Hmm. Jeez, these lenses are still pretty dirty. Rub, rub, rub. No, still not quite clean. Rub, rub, rub. Rub, rub, rub, rub. Rubrubrubrub. Rubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrubrub!!!!!! Sigh.

OK, so here's the thing. The special Crizal™ cloth actually does a pretty good job of removing dirt and dust. What it isn't so good at is removing grease, such as might spatter on your glasses, say, when you sauté something, as I am wont to do. Or, if you are human, such as you might excrete as one of the regular biological processes that keep you alive. The cloth does an excellent job of moving that grease around, sometimes relocating it in more or less the same shape elsewhere on the lens, other times smearing it in a delicate veneer across the entire lens, but always, always, always leaving it on the lens.

Thanks to Crizal™, I do not see glare. I do, however, constantly see rainbows. Also, there are times when the world through my glasses looks like a goddamn Monet; a pleasingly glare-free Monet, to be sure, but a Monet nonetheless. I can only imagine that no one at the Crizal™ company has ever been forced to wear Crizal™-coated lenses, because the evil required to knowingly market so profoundly defective a product is too terrible to contemplate. Next thing you'll tell me is that there are folks out there who would start a war based on false pretenses.

I'd like to say I've learned a valuable lesson from this experience, but the lessons here are either too specific ("Don't by Crizal™-coated lenses!") or too trite and obvious ("Let the buyer beware!"). I have learned exactly nothing other than the fact that when you have made a costly mistake, you no longer have enough money left to undo that mistake. I suppose I could have taken the lenses back and demanded satisfaction, but I am unfortunately a little slow witted, and it took quite a while before I was certain of the cause of my consternation. I figured somehow--mysteriously, inexplicably--that my inability to clean my glasses was somehow my fault. That sounds dumb, you say? Are you surprised? I'M THE IDIOT WHO BOUGHT CRIZAL™-COATED LENSES!!!!!

PS As requested by Dave P, a photo of myself in the lovely but smeary glasses. Note my slightly confused look, the result of not being able to see so terribly well.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    OMG, my milk just came out of my nose. (okay, I don't really drink milk. but you get the point.)

     
  • At 7:57 PM , Blogger James Lynch III said...

    hey, now that you have Crizal, and Absinthe is legal again... well...

     
  • At 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You wrote: "The special Crizal™ cloth isn't so good at removing grease . . . such as you might excrete as one of the regular biological processes that keep you alive."

    Let me put this as politely as I can: What the hell are you talking about? You excrete grease? And you do this as part of some regular bilogical process? That's not Crizal's fault - you need to see a doctor.

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Hirsh Horn--

    Your comment suggests that you lack sebaceous glands. This is a very serious condition and you should consult a doctor immediately!

    Your friend,
    MoCL

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I'll be damned.

     
  • At 1:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What? No picture of you in these fashionable, albeit greasy, spiffy new specs?

     
  • At 2:35 PM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Dave.

    As you wish.

    Chuck,

    My apologies. On second thought, it occurs to me that I was rash. You may in fact have nonfunctioning sebaceous glands--very different from lacking them, although the condition is probably just as lethal. A visit to the doctor is still in order.

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, let me get this straight, Four-eyes: You think I should go to the doctor because I don't have glands that drool *sebum* all over my hair and skin. Is that right?

    According to the infallible Wikipedia, sebum is, in large part, "the debris of dead fat-producing cells." In other words, sebum is fat's shit! I didn't even know that fat *made* shit! No wonder the "bacterial breakdown" of sebum "can produce odors."
    No wonder "sebum is the cause of some people experiencing 'oily' hair" and "earwax is partly composed of sebum." Obviously, *your* sebaceous glands are churning away at a vigorous clip.

    If I had a set of those things, I'd get them removed at any cost.

     
  • At 9:16 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Hirsh horn,

    One of my favorite Peanuts cartoons ever begins with Lucy calling Charlie Brown a blockhead. As Charlie Brown walks away dejectedly, Linus says to Lucy, "You really shouldn't call him a blockhead." Lucy replies, "Why not?" Linus' response is, "He might actually be a blockhead."

    Good sir, before you joke about another's hyperactive sebaceous glands, I ask that you consider that your target may actually have hyperactive sebaceous glands.

    Don't bother with an apology; my ears are too waxy to hear it.

     
  • At 11:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good grief! I guess you should have remembered that cartoon before you ordered me to the doctor for hypo-sebumoity, which, despite my bravado, has been a torment to me since I was a child. Blockhead.

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Oh, Hirshy, you have confused my helpful advice for a pointed barb, and now you are unnecessarily disgruntled. This is my fault; I should have employed the appropriate emoticons to convey my meaning more clearly. I am tempted to throw myself upon my favorite Uniball to demonstrate my contrition, but instead I will simply offer my most heartfelt apologies and leave it at that. My bad. :-)

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Blogger robyncz said...

    Oh man. I got the Crizal coating once. Never again. Never, never, never, never again. I wonder if anyone ever gets it twice.

    That being said, this year I got suckered into iZon lenses, which is to say, I no longer have regular vision; now I have WOW Vision.

    And I have to say, Wow Vision is way better than Smear Vision.

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do you know if your lenses were coated using Crizal Avancé™ with Scotchgard™ or Crizal® Alizé™?

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tom:

    Loved your blog about the industry that I am involved in.

    We had to include your blog for our industry blog.

    www.eyeoverheard.com

    Lens Chic =)

     
  • At 9:07 AM , Blogger Jennie Lanics said...

    Many people in the world now use the lens of the eye. If you need the best lens of the eye, then select the Izon lenses.

    iZon lenses

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home