Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Four Stages of a Man

Beatles music is the first music I remember hearing. Meet the Beatles, Something New, and Hard Day's Night all got heavy play in our house when I was just a toddler; it was my musical mother's milk. I remember singing "I Don't Want to Spoil The Party" to myself as I walked to elementary school, entirely oblivious to the song's emotive meaning but deeply in love with the melody, the harmonies, and the guitars. Over the years, Beatle music has remained a constant in my life. Other music climbs up and down the mental hit parade, but there's always a Beatles song running through my head at some time during the day.

When I was a little kid, Ringo--loveable, cute, devil-may-care Ringo--was my favorite. He was always happy, never took things too seriously, just glad to be part of the gang.

Adolescence was all about John, angry and angsty, irreverent and sarcastic, taking the world so damn seriously. There was a time in my life when Plastic Ono Band seemed the pinnacle achievement of Western art. I was a little depressed at the time.

Adulthood is for Paul. Paul is a genius, pure and simple. Even his crap floors me, because it reveals an understanding of music so far beyond anything I could ever hope for for myself. Fabulous singer, brilliant bassist, stellar guitarist (that's him playing the frantic solo on "Taxman"), and seemingly a nice fellow to boot. Someone to admire, and to aspire to.

Dotage will be devoted to George. Quiet, underappreciated, a tad petulant but ultimately at peace with the world--what better way to prepare for checking out? As George reminded us in his masterwork, all things must pass.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Nice post, Tom. Really nice.

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger John Albin said...

    Funny thing about George. He had this image as a blissed out Hare Krishna, but he was probably the most classicallly ironic Brit of the four, at least in his lyrics (you never know what Ringo really thinks). Taxman, I Me Mine, Piggies, This Song, Northern Song ...

    Did you ever see "The Concert for George"? It really pulls together how great a songwriter he was. That and person generally beloved by a lot of people. We should all go out that way

    [shameless plug: come visit me at my blog some time]

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home