Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sam Cooke


Every time I think I've got a beat on Sam Cooke, that I know just where he sits in my personal pantheon, the guy reemerges in my consciousness and forces me to once again reevaluate, and once again upgrade, my opinion.

A little background: like most folks, I first came to know Sam Cooke through his big hits, a deep catalogue of mid-tempo love songs that generally fall into the I-IV-I-V or I-vi-IV-V chord patterns. Wading through such pleasant but lightweight fare as "Chain Gang," "Only Sixteen," "Wonderful World," and "Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha," I was naturally floored by the quality of the guy's voice and singing but was equally underwhelmed by the material. I was ready to group him with Nat King Cole: massive talent with a pop career dragged down by middle-of-the-road songs and arrangements.

Then I heard Night Beat, a small-combo album on which Cooke sings a bunch of blues and torch ballads. I was floored; here, finally, was an album of material that reached the level of his talent. If you do not own a copy of this album, stop reading right now and get yourself a copy immediately. Seriously, I'll wait. [patient tapping of shoe]

Night Beat sent me searching for more such music; surely a vein producing such pure gold had to be just the beginning of a rich motherlode. But alas, it was not to be; there's just no other Sam Cooke album like it, at least not in print. At this point I figured I had Sam Cooke pegged as "that guy who made one great album and could have made a lot more if he had only been less attached to his hit-making formula." Which, in fact, extended the Nat King Cole anthology, as Cole's early trio recordings are every bit as breathtaking as Night Beat.

And then, just a few weeks ago, I saw this clip of Cooke singing "Basin Street Blues" on the Mike Douglas Show, and remembered once again what an astonishingly good singer he was. The experience compelled me to pick up keep movin' on (on which the song appears), a collection of the final 23 recordings of Cooke's career, and now, once again, I am reevaluating Sam Cooke. There's a lot of amazing material here--a nifty, up-tempo 4/4 reworking of "Tennessee Waltz," a great little "Shake"-like obscurity called "Yeah Man" (which Arthur Conley later revised and rerecorded as "Sweet Soul Music"--thanks to Mikey for this correction--ed.), "Good News," "Rome Wasn't Built in a Day," "Good Times," "Meet Me at Mary's Place," and of course the jaw-dropping "A Change is Gonna Come," Cooke's self-penned reaction to "Blowin' in the Wind" and the winner of that contest in a first-round knockout. The singing here is freer and more emotive than anything I've heard from Cooke except for perhaps his early gospel recordings with the Soul Stirrers. While you're buying Night Beat, grab a copy of this one too; hell, it's only $9.99, how can you possibly go wrong? You can't.

Perusing Sam Cooke's catalogue at the All Music Guide, I see a ton of Sam Cooke material that's out of print. I hope they bring it all out. I don't know how much higher my opinion of the guy can get, but I'm anxious to find out.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    When you told me you were going to write about Sam Cooke, my first thought was "I wonder if he knows about 'Night Beat'" - I agree, GREAT album!!!!

    If you haven't already, check out 'Live At The Harlem Square Club' and 'The Rhythm and The Blues'.

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great post, Tom. I think Cooke was incredible across the board. For my money, the fact that he was trying to cross over with "Chain Gang," "Another Saturday Night," etc. doesn't make those records any less exciting. Is it just me, or do you think there's a strong tendency among soul fans to look down on all "crossover acts"? So many people react to Cooke, the Spinners, etc. by saying, "Well, they're okay, but they can't compare to (some soul group that appealed mainly to black audiences)." Even George Pelecanos, one of my favorite writers, can't resist putting down pop/soul. A lot of his characters love soul music, and they tend to dismiss Motown as "soul for white people."

    Alex

     
  • At 9:29 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Dave--I have "Rhythm and the Soul" and found the non-Night Beat tracks a little disappointing. I bought the Harlem Square Club on vinyl years ago but never got into it and now my vinyl is depleted and nonfunctioning--don't even have a turntable set up anymore. I'll get it on CD and give it another try.

    Alex--I have no problem with pop soul--heck, check out the previous post on The Main Ingredient, you don't get much more mainstream than that. I like each of those Cooke songs on their own--"Wonderful World," "Cupid," "Only Sixteen," etc.--but taken cumulatively they just seem a little too lightweight, especially when compared to his more compelling recordings.

     
  • At 6:46 AM , Blogger John Albin said...

    There are lots of great musicians who take a beating as "sell-outs". Same Cooke and Nat Cole, as you note, among many others (the one I think about the most is probably Wes Montogomery). I always find this judgment interesting for a couple of reasons. First, none of us takes a beating for wasting our talents on sell-out day jobs, so why should the likes of Cole, Cooke, Benson, et. al? There's nothing wrong with getting paid. Second, to be able to take a piece of fluff like "Only Sixteen" and turn it into music worth listening to is quite a gift. Most pop music is an object lesson in how to fail at that endeavor. I have a lot of respect for people who succeed. Also, just to be a bit more contrarian, "Wonderful World" is a great freakin' song, period. No shame in singing it.

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    John--Agree wholeheartedly. I love a lot of Cooke's "fluff," including "Wonderful Word," "You Send Me," and "Cupid." I could do without ever hearing "Everybody Loves to Cha-Cha-Cha" again, but everyone's entitled to a dud. Still, these songs, wonderful though they may be, don't compare so favorably to Night Beat or those final recordings I wrote about above. Just wish there was more of that stuff available.

     
  • At 6:38 AM , Blogger MIKEY said...

    I think you might want to change that bit about yeah man being a rip off of sweet soul music, or just delete this post altogether. Sweet Soul Music is a reworking by Arthur Conley and Otis Redding of Yeah Man, who were both big Sam Cooke fans (if you had any of their albums you'd know just how many covers both artists did of his material and how much he influenced them.) The Sam Cooke version came first, even though this is one of the first times it is available on cd. Sam Cooke never ripped anyone else's music off, and even his covers are complete reworkings - see Little Red Rooster, Summertime and Tennessee Waltz. Please amend this. Grrr.

     
  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Hey Mikey,

    Thanks for the info, and thanks for your passion on the subject. I will make the changes you suggest, and rest assured that I'll be firing the sorry-ass fact-checker who missed this mistake on the first go-around!

    Best,
    Tom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home