Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Back in Business

Last week blogger.com notified me that I could convert my Stone Age blog to a spiffy new Blogger-in-Beta blog. 'Well, Merry Christmas to me,' I thought as I clicked the requisite buttons to warp-speed my blog into modernity. Then I waited. And waited. And waited some more. 8 days, to be exact.

Finally I contacted the help desk at blogger/google and received some very fine assistance from God only knows whom. Whoever it was managed to restore my blog by sending it back to the Stone Age, where it will stay until blogger can iron the kinks out of its new version. Having experienced beta products before I cannot now imagine what could have possibly compelled me to make the switch in the first place, but I'll remember this lesson going forward. I hope.

So what has happened in the dark void that was my blog-free Beatles-approved-length week? Well, I hit a deer in our formerly brand-new car. The deer got very much the worse end of the transaction, but still, it wasn't pretty. She left a deer-head shaped indentation in our front right bumper, and the force of impact--we were going about 55, she about 5--dislodged the front right fender, jarring it back so that the passenger door no longer opens.

The good news, if anything related to this event can be considered good news, is that no human was injured, and that insurance companies apparently do not regard a collision with a deer as a collision. That's good because the collision deductible on our insurance is $500. This collision-like accident was deemed "other than collision," with a deductible of only $100. We did not trade insurance information with the deer--who, by the way, was clearly at fault--so I guess we'll have to cover the $100 out of our own pockets. Merry Christmas to me, indeed.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    God, I hope it wasn't Rudolph. Or Prancer. I love those two deer(ly). Any chance you used the meat for some cool Korean meal?

    Glad to see you back on line again, bro'. I broke out the 5 Chinese Brothers Christmas CD this past weekend. For the record, it stands the test of time very nicely.

     
  • At 6:51 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Tom--

    I have a friend who hit a deer, drove home, downloaded instructions on how to field dress the thing, and drove back to harvest the venison. In fact, we were on our way over to that friend's house when the accident occurred. I, however, lack both the equipment and stomach for that sort of activity. I think about it, then I think of that story about Rick Danko trying to field dress a deer and winding up covered in deer guts and feces, then I drive to the Whole Food and buy my venison there.

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tom:
    You would have hoped, I know, that the deer was insured by the Hartford. Or at least by Venison Life.

    But no. Uninsured and underinsured wildlife are a threat to civilized life as we know it. There should be a law. Call your legislator today.

    Meanwhile, I was at a museum in DC the other day...and ran across several Cezannes. I did not, however, run into your aunt who was in a coma.

    I hope all is well; talk with you soon, perhaps.

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just please tell me it wasn't the Ford Focus.

     
  • At 7:49 AM , Blogger Tom Meltzer said...

    Much worse, mojito, it was the Toyota Matrix we bought this summer. Thing's got maybe 5,000 miles on it. The Focus, BTW, is in the shop for a new clutch--not surprising, as it has 120,000 miles on it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home