Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not Quite "Now I've Seen Everything," But Probably in the Same Zip Code

At the Costco today, prominently displayed on the book table, I saw the new Thomas Pynchon novel. The Costco, for those few unaware, is a giant discount warehouse. It's a Mitch Albom, not Thomas Pynchon, kind of place. Or so I thought.

Could anything have surprised me more? If Pynchon had been there doing a signing, perhaps. Or a Roland Barthes Deconstructor Set in the toy section, maybe. Otherwise, not much, I suspect.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is strange. I saw something (sort of) similar earlier this year--I was looking at the CD rack in our local Sam's Club in Hickory, NC and they must have had 150 copies of the new Allison Moorer CD. I'd like to think they were expecting AM to start selling like Shania Twain, but I'm afraid someone just punched the wrong number while ordering that week's merchandise.

    Alex

     
  • At 11:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That book must be sitting on a very sturdy table. It's gotta be at least 1200 pages in length. I'll take Randy Wayne White instead anyday.

    Tom...the best to you and yours' this Thanksgiving. Me and mine are heading to Amelia Island for a few days....right after I pick up the "newly" reconstructed Beatles album LOVE to listen to along the way.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home