Man of Constant Leisure

"Cultivated leisure is the aim of man." ---Oscar Wilde

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Wings At the Speed of Sound

With Paul McCartney's new album, Memory Almost Full, due out the first Tuesday of June, this month seems as good a time as any to review Macca's solo career. I am a fan, not a fanatic; I'm in awe of the guy's talent, though, and find a lot of creative inspiration in his work. I don't own all of his solo albums but I own a lot of them. I'll be writing about them, in the order they were released, over the next few weeks.



All right, I want to use a lifeline here. The online equivalent of phone-a-friend, if you will.

See, I don't own Wings At the Speed of Sound, and, based on passing exposure to it over the years, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't enjoy listening to it often enough to write a decent review. Also, I don't want to blow $10 on an album I'm quite sure I won't like.

So this text, I hope, is just a placeholder. I'm hoping that one (or more!) of you, my dear friends, will provide a review that I can post here in lieu of this plea. It doesn't have to be anything lengthy or elaborate or profound. Heck, "Shit sandwich" will suffice. Just so that it comes from someone who actually knows the album and has a well-formed opinion about it.

Please email reviews to me at tmeltzer@nc.rr.com. A hearty 'thank you' will be your sole remuneration. That, and the people's ovation and fame forever, of course.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Can't help you here. I don't have that album. Never really got into Wings. Well, except Live & Let Die. Love that song.

    I hope you're doing better...

     
  • At 8:04 PM , Blogger Jeff Hart said...

    tom, i never bought this one either.
    my main exposure to it was in high school when our school library had it! i didn't like it enough to buy it back in '78 obviously. there are some decent tunes that made it onto their live "wings over america" lp however.
    "time to hide" is a top notch denny laine tune. i'm one of the few rockers you'll meet who will admit to liking "silly love songs". hearing the live version gives you more insight into what a fine and funky bassist paul is. "let 'em in", again sort of a lightweight one, but i have a sweet tooth for such fare. from what i remember, the linda tune was interesting only for the cooking sounds (frying bacon in their pre-veggie days?) mixed behind her vocal. the jimmy mcculloch (sic) tune doesn't even jog my memory. both these tunes didn't make the live album, so there!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home